Monday, September 28, 2015

Arcana Aestas Review

Brand: Arcana
Availability: General Catalog
Notes: The ancient Roman goddess of Summer. Madagascar vanilla, yellow cake, soft peach nectar, golden musk, black musk, and a hint of patchouli

First impression out of bottle: Buttery golden cake and bright syrupy peach.


Freshly applied: Really nice blend of buttery pastry and sweet rich peach. This peach reminds me a LOT of the peach in Haus of Gloi Pumpkin Queen. Actually this whole thing makes me think of Pumpkin Queen, without the spice part. 



Buttery golden cake with sweet peach

Drydown: As it dries, it inverts and becomes peaches first and golden cake second. The peach notes are really voluptuous and pink now. I feel like there are multiple varieties of fruit: canned, creamy, fresh. The cake/pie note is now in the background only giving an overall dessert feel. It’s less buttery than it was on the opening. I love Arcana’s gourmands and this is no exception.The cake kind of weaves in and out so sometimes I smell mostly peach, then I get peachy cake right after, etc. The peach keeps dancing between fresh white peach and canned golden peach. I love the mix of fruity and cake here. This would be super comforting in cold weather, but I think the golden character makes it summer friendly too. 

After several hours:  This is a morpher, when I’m sitting in my cold office it’s a very peaches and cream scent, but in my hot car, it’s all buttery golden peach cake. I love both. The ultimate drydown is peaches on top of vanilla ice cream. The vanilla ice cream vibe is IDENTICAL to the one in Solstice Scents Violet Mallow (whose drydown is epic but the sharp opening florals are BLECH.)



Cake and syrupy peaches with melty vanilla ice cream

Longevity: High, I can smell this way into the afternoon

Sillage: High, I can smell it on me, both in an ambient way and when I huff my wrist, and my coworker could smell it when she walked by me.

Would an [X] lover love this? Anyone who likes Yellow Cake, Apples Crave Cake, Ganesh, or any other popular indie cake scents like SS Cameo would go crazy for this. It's pretty much a peach version of Apples Crave Cake.


Would an [X] hater love this? If you aren’t nuts about cakey scents, this one probably won’t change your mind. Oh also take no mind of the patchouli in here- Julia from Arcana does some sort of witchcraft with patchouli in her gourmands where they are undetectable but lend some magic and tenacity. You can't smell it at all as "patchouli" or even a green/dark note. 

Where am I? Eating a huge pile of peach cobbler cake with a big scoop vanilla bean ice cream


Where would I wear this? This is definitely a daytime scent for me, but since my SO seems to enjoy sweet gourmands, I'd wear this on a date. It's very strong and lush, so definitely has enough presence for a special occasion. I really love how it changes based on your environment, so I would wear this equally in winter and in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment