Monday, September 21, 2015

NAVA Santalum Review

Brand: Nocturne Alchemy
Availability: Limited Edition (Studio Limited collection, not seasonal but once sold out, it's gone)
Notes: This is the beautiful Sandalwood imported from Alexandria infused with all Egyptian components: coconut husk, golden amber accords, golden Sandalwood resin, deep fossilized amber, golden Himalayan Cedarwood, gold Patchouli and a teardrop of golden Frankincense

First impression out of bottle: Deep spicy wood

Freshly applied: Almost animalic in its spiciness, resiny, woody. Strong like you walked into a shop that had a bunch of freshly chopped or polished wood. The spiciness is a bit over the top here. It's a blend of masculine and feminine.

Very dark, spicy sandalwood
Drydown: The spiciness calms down, and a deep golden note appears. It's warm, resinous, glowing. Like a pool of resin sliding over the heart of a tree. If this were a color it would be deep golden brown.

Slightly lighter, smoother, and less spicy sandalwood
After several hours: Same as the drydown, only it becomes fused with my skin scent so I can't tell where I end and Santalum begins. Truest deep sandalwood. No sawdust, no plastic, no vanilla, no sweetness besides what is naturally there. I never smell the patchouli as a standalone note. It is probably working its magic behind the scenes, but it never comes forth as a major player.

Longevity: High, I can smell this on my skin, hair, and clothing for days
Sillage: High, and even after it settles into a "skin scent" it's still very prominent and assertive

Would an [X] lover love this? Yes, a sandalwood lover needs this, no bones about it. It's the Ultimate Sandalwood.

Would an [X] hater love this? Maybe, maybe not. It's gorgeous but it's a truly true sandalwood. If you don't like the smell of wood or spicy wood in particular, this might be the one to change your mind, but it might reinforce what you hate about it.

Where am I? A temple built of sacred sandalwood, surrounded by glowing light and beautiful meditative stillness.

Where would I wear this? I truly do wear this for all occasions. It's a scent that both calms and energizes me. I find it appropriate for a sexy nighttime feel and a more subtle daytime vibe. It's unisex and though it's not my SO's style I can see this working equally well on a man or a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment