Monday, October 5, 2015

Cocoa Pink Tahitian Monoi Cake Review

Brand: Cocoa Pink
Availability: General Catalog
Notes: Vanilla cake batter injected with candied citrus, moist white cake smothered in whipped buttercream icing touched with nuances of Polynesian Monoi oil.

First impression out of bottle: Buttered white toast (huh?)

Freshly applied: Buttery pound cake and white florals


Drydown: This is SO not a delicate pale white cake scent. This is a brash yellow pound cake, heavy on the butter and super rich in scent and feel. There is a touch of candied citrus I think, but it makes me think more of like...kumquat or something more tropical than standard lemon. It's not a citrus-y scent overall. The white florals/Monoi are so pretty and SO weird combined with the cake. Someone reviewed this and said it was weirdly great and it straddled the line between gourmand and floral and they were so right. It doesn't smell like...flowers on a cake...or cake infused with flowers. It smells exactly 50/50 real Monoi oil with luscious gourmand cake.


The cake element smells like this picture

After several hours: More of the same, though I'd say the Monoi has now taken the wheel and this is a predominantly floral scent with nuances of buttery gourmand notes. Honestly this is a total weirdo of a scent. It makes me think of a sweet girl who is totally crazy and who can be fun but a lot of trouble. 


Very realistic fresh monoi oil

Longevity: High
Sillage: High

Would an [X] lover love this?  If you like cakes and florals you might like it, but it's not as friendly as SS Cameo or something similar. It's a little odd and it might be unsettling. Think more of the weirdness of SS Nightgown. You can't quite land on if it's food or flowers. I do adore white florals when the moon is right (literally, white florals smell better to me at some points in my cycle) so I will hang onto this.

Would an [X] hater love this? If you hate white florals or cake this is probably going to weird you out and it definitely won't convert you.

Where am I? I'm a weirdo on a tropical vacation.

Yep, basically Rayanne if she ever went on an island vacation

Where would I wear this? I might wear this as a daytime scent but then again, it's a little kooky. I think this would be easier for me to use in a bath & body application. I don't know if I want to smell like this all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment