Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sarawen Cake or Death Review

Brand: Sarawen
Availability: General Catalog
Notes: cake, allspice, cream frosting, amber

First impression out of bottle: Cinnamon bun with glaze and nuts


Cinnamon bun get in my mouth

Freshly applied: Same glazed cinnamon bun (think Cinnabon) with something a bit aquatic and perfumed, almost like a masculine aftershave. This is really interesting- a mix of a traditional cologne scent with a spicy gourmand. It kind of ends up smelling a teensy bit soapy, not in a really gross way just in a clean and slightly powdery way.

Luxurious, warm oriental perfume

Drydown: The soapiness/powder calms down and I get a warm unisex cologne (think a masculine oriental NOT some green/fresh aftershave Polo/CK business) with a hint of voluptuous sweetness. I think this is an ambitious gourmand/perfumey blend (which are my favorite types of perfume) and I'm not 100% in love yet. I think it would benefit from being heavier on the pastry/cake notes and lighter on the amber. But if I had no inkling of what this scent was supposed to be, going into it, I'd probably really like it as a slightly spicy, sweet oriental. 


After several hours: Vaguely cakey amber spice oriental (with no floral notes.)

Longevity: Medium

Sillage: Medium

Would an [X] lover love this? Oriental/amber lovers will enjoy this. Gourmand lovers may be disappointed that the cake notes (which are awesome on first application) fade and become less pronounced. But that could be my skin chemistry.


Would an [X] hater love this? I think if you hate spice or amber you will dislike this. It's a slightly powdery amber blend, which I know is a characteristic that amber-haters tend to despise. 


Where am I? Eating a Cinnabon out of the hands of a very-well-perfumed gentleman. Why such a sophisticated man is holding such a disgusting (delicious) treat I don't know.


Where would I wear this? Work, daytime, mayyybe nighttime as it has a bit of a sexy feel. I always think true unisex perfumes are sexy because they just remind me of couples' perfumes/colognes mingling together.

No comments:

Post a Comment