Friday, October 2, 2015

Possets Iowa Review

Brand: Possets
Availability: General Catalog
Notes: this one starts out with a crystallized vanilla...then there is a hint of turbinado sugar, and a large dose of an accord based on wheat...and a small amount of a whiskey-like addition

First impression out of bottle: Brown sugar and salt.

Freshly applied: Salty, savory cornmeal crust with oozing melted yellow butter. 



Melted butter on cornbread
Drydown: Very much the same, with less assertive saltiness. This smells like an overcooked, crunchy cornbread cookie with a ton of butter. I'm surprised I enjoy the butter in here- it smelled rancid in Cream and Mrs. Rabbit's Carrot Cake, but it fits well in here. Like luxurious fresh salted butter, not the unpleasant microwave-popcorn note I got in the past. I love that this smells like the brown underside of cornbread- not the yellow fluffy middle part, but the crispy edge!


The scent of browned baked goods

After several hours: Still crispy browned cornbread edges. I'm so shocked that this has basically no sweetness! The turbinado sugar is there as a crunchy/brown feel but NOT as a sweet element. It kind of reminds me of whole wheat toast. Like a hybrid of salty corn muffins and buttered brown toast.


Longevity: Medium. This doesn't disappear, but it doesn't stay full-strength for long and fades after about 5 hours. It also becomes a leetle bit flat. But I like the toasted darkness.

Sillage: Low-Medium. I was expecting such a bold gourmand to have more throw, but this one settles down and stays pretty close to my skin.

Would an [X] lover love this? Gourmand/savory lovers would probably enjoy the beautiful toasted savory note in this, but it might not hit the sweet notes that you foodie lovers are used to.


Would an [X] hater love this? I think a lot of people will find this weird. It's very edible, savory, and straightforward, which are all attributes that can turn people off.


Where am I? Eating leftover cornbread and rolls from Thanksgiving.


Where would I wear this? Daytime, dinner, home, colder months

No comments:

Post a Comment